Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sharing an Email From A Friend


Sharing an Email from a friend 30 Oct 2010



I was recently going thru some old documents and found one pertaining to my move from the Washington, DC area to central Mexico. A lot of people raised their eyebrow at the brashness of my decision, but for me, it seemed like the right thing to do at that moment in time. However, reminiscing over the discovered document gave rise to the specter of "did I make the right decision?" I can categorically surmise "Yes"; but the next question to follow is: 'Do I have any regrets?'

Contemplating that question, I do come away with one major regret which I will share with you, and then ask you to immediately consider if you might have made a similar decision. My prime regret in moving to a foreign country is the fact that I gave up my right to participate in the democratic process of voting. I left the states not long after George Bush was elected to a second term... and I will admit at the time I thought the electorate had gone mad. I was a sideline observer during the election of President Barack Obama, but I certainly championed his cause -- still do. I am going to have to sit out yet another important election, but I am still a keen observer. I feel once again that the electorate may be on the brink of madness. I come to this conclusion because those who were so passionate about the election two years ago have become disengaged. And those who mind set is purely against creating a stronger union, have whipped the electorate into a frenzy conducive to ignoring facts, and relying on rhetoric. Therefore my lone vote will be drowned in the stampede to change 'change'!

So I have to re-examine my original decision to leave behind the right all Americans have; that I practiced all my adult life; that I served in the Armed Forces to preserve; and that I still regret that I have given up. But I would urge you to take a few moments to read two articles that I have attached which I believe bolster my decision. Maybe I was a bell-wether of a trend that seems to be taking hold across the US and Canada. From my vantage point, I can see the migration; and I hear the numerous stories of why that personal migration was made. Most of those stories also tell of regrets, but the migration made too much sense not to be followed.

So to all of my friends and family that still have their democratically given right to vote, I urge you to exercise that right, and to get as many as you can to do the same. Rome was not built in a single day; nor were the problems that currently face the electorate. However, to the millions who now have, or soon will have a stronger medical safety net, I think the gains of the last two years were positive. There are yet to be tweaks that must be made, but many of you will wonder some day how did we ever survive without such a sensible prospectus.

Love and prosperity to all... and I will be more than happy to discuss Mexico with anyone who wishes to inquire. R

P.S.
Attachments came with this email;

No comments:

Post a Comment